Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Meet Mike Conway...the Perry Ellis IndyCar Driver



Perry Now recently caught up with Mike Conway---the man wearing our logo on his IndyCar uniform (OUR guy!)---to find out a little more about this British import who recently joined the IndyCar team:

Perry Now: I understand that you started racing when you were age 8…can you tell us how that transpired as it seems like an early age to be racing?

Mike Conway: It started out as a bit of fun initially, but it soon got pretty competitive and it grew from there.

PN: Can you describe your childhood when you were growing up in your native country of England?

MC: My childhood was like most kids. It started out playing with friends and trying to stay out of trouble, but when you get involved in racing you sacrifice all of that to focus on racing, which teaches you a lot more discipline that some of the other kids your age.

PN: Why did you originally come to the US, and do you plan one day to return to your home country?

MC: I saw that there were more opportunities for me here in the U.S. and I really enjoy a challenge.


PN: Where does your family live and do you get to visit them often?

MC: They live in the UK in a town called Seven Oaks. I haven’t been home for three months and won’t get home for another two!

PN: Do you have brothers and sisters and what do they do, where do they live?

MC: I have a brother and a sister. My sister is married and lives in the UK. Her passion is the fashion industry! My brother is just finishing college and is majoring in IT.


PN: Racing seems to dominate your life…what do you like to do in your leisure time, what are your hobbies?

MC: I like training in the gym, swimming, running and cycling. I like to keep focused all of the time, but I also like hanging out with friends and going out for dinner.


PN: What kind of food do you like?

MC: I really like Japanese, Italian, and fresh seafood. I spent the last year with an Italian team, so I grew to like Italian food!


PN: What kind of music do you like?

MC: I like all kinds of music, but mainly electro dance, chill Indi Rock music and some 80’s music as well.

PN: Do you play a musical instrument yourself?

MC: The triangle! No, not at the moment, but I would like to learn.


PN: Who are some of your favorite musical artists?

MC: Some of my favorite bands are the Arctic Monkeys, Last of the Shadow Puppets, and Deadman5.

PN: Who are some of your favorite actors?

MC: Some of my favorite actors would be Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt.

PN: What kind of movies do you like?

MC: I really like action, comedy and thrillers! Some of my favorite movies would have to be Snatch, Layer Cure, Rock n’ Roller, Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.

PN: Do you like sports aside from racing, and which one is your favorite?

MC: I don’t have one sport in particular that I like, but I do watch cycling or Olympic sports and the downhill cheese run (it’s held once a year and it’s hilarious!).

PN: When you have a moment to get away on RnR, where do you like to go to recharge?

MC: My favorite place to get away would have to be the Maldives!

PN: What do you find most different about the US from your home country?

MC: The portions! Also everything seems more accessible here and the racing is a lot bigger in the U.S. as well.

PN: What is your favorite city in the US, and in the world? Why?

MC: I would have to say San Francisco, but I haven’t been to that many! My favorite city in the world is Maldive. It’s the best place that I have been to because it’s so quiet and chilled with the clearest water.

PN: Do you currently have a ‘significant other’ in your life and does she live in the United States?

MC: Yes I do and her name is Paola, but unfortunately she is back in the UK!

PN: If you could tell people one thing about yourself that most people would not guess, what would that be?

MC: I used to be an opera singer….

PN: What is your goal in life…what kind of ‘footprint’ do you want to leave on the world?

MC: A size 8…just kidding…I would just like to be successful and achieve my goals in racing. My life goals would be to eventually have a family of my own!
Bookmark and Share